Saturday, October 3, 2009

Playing Football in Africa


These are some reflections from a visitor that visited CGA on the medical team that came in October. Carissa Rowe is a nurse from Charleston, South Carolina...
One of my favorite memories during our medical mission’s trip was the time I was able to spend with the children at Christ Gift Academy. Some of us had the honor of playing sports with the older children. I was able to play soccer with them- my favorite sport! It was an amazing experience and I had so much fun! One of the boys, Caltrex, really impressed me. He just looks like a soccer player, and his amazing speed did not impact his control of the soccer ball. He was aware of his skills yet used his teammates instead of hogging the ball and showing off. His maturity and leadership on the field stretched far beyond his actual age.

The most impressive part was how the kids were able to play on such rough terrain…barefoot! Most of the kids didn’t own cleats or shoes to protect their feet from the dirt, rocks and uneven ground. One of the luckier kids had a cleat on one foot and a flip flip on the other yet he still played awesome! It just shows how good soccer players can play anywhere and in any condition! These kids were so much fun to play with and I learned so much from them!

It’s such a blessing that these kids have the opportunity to share their God-given talents. Some barriers that they overcome daily are the lack of transportation, finances and equipment. When I heard of the Suba Lakers Football Club I got excited. This is a club for girls that provides them with the opportunity to share and grow in their soccer skills. I know that God will do great things through this program and I hope to help it grow and allow as many girls as possible to shine and develop their God-given talents through the wonderful sport of soccer!

No comments: