Monday, April 5, 2010

Rafting the Nile


Had a great weekend rafting the Nile in Jinja, Uganda. We finished the primary school sports tournaments on Wednesday, closed the school term at CGA on Thursday and then headed for Uganda on Friday. Jenny Cox and three other American teaches from West Nairobi School came out to Mbita to visit the school this week. So the five of us jumped in my Landcruiser and took the morning ferry and drove to Kisumu. We met up with four other friends from Narok. The nine of us squeezed in my vehicle and with some good IPOD music blaring headed for the border.

This was the forth time I have done it, but each time is a totally different adventure. It is so wild. There is an incredible rush you get when you are paddling right in the eye of the rapid, not sure if you will survive or get thrown into the water. Actually I think I get more scared each time I do it because I know how crazy it can get. We had a fun group of missionaries and enjoyed our time in the vehicle, at the camp and in the raft. Both of our rafts only flipped twice, though I was also thrown in one extra time by the sheer force of the wave.

Sunday's journey from Jinja back to Nairobi was long, taking about 10 hours; but the weekend was just what I needed. It was nice to get away from Mbita and be with some other young missionaries and be able to talk, laugh and joke. I was thankful for the opportunity and for God's provision in the entire trip.




No comments: