Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Short Rest


It is good to be back home, at least for 2 days. Being out coaching sports is great, but it also gets a little tiring living out of a suitcase, being the only white man anywhere around (which attracts a lot of stares and comments), eating ugali twice a day or drinking an uncountable number of cups of tea. I think I am starting to sweat milk and sugar from all the tea I have drank over the last two weeks.


I am just home for two nights and Friday I will leave again to join the Provencial team that is preparing for Nationals in Meru next week. Six of the girls from our team were selected to play at Nationals, and the secretary of the Province requested me to help train the girls football team and coach them at Nationals. It is a wonderful opportunity and God is already showing me how he can use me to help bridge the divide between different tribes on the team and how I can be an encouragement and witness to the players, coaches and officials.


We will be training the team until Sunday and then travel to Mt. Kenya region to Meru for the national competition on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Nyanza province has never won the girls football title at Nationals so we have our work cut out for us.

No comments: