Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Chapel



I got a call late on Sunday night from one of our teachers who asked me if I could lead chapel on Monday morning. Excited about getting the chance, I didn't have much time to prepare, but its a good thing the Holy Spirit is always ready.



The text was from 2 Peter 1:3-11 which talks about making our calling and election sure. In simple terms it tells us that God has given us everything we need for this life to do good.



I started by addressing the 270 students and 30 staff members with some questions about what we need to be a good student, teacher, police officer and other vocations. We talked about all that CGA has given to these students so that they can do their best (uniforms, books, school supplies, good teachers, nice classrooms with desks, medical help, 2 meals a day and even food during the holiday). Then we compared that to how God has given us everything we need to do good and to escape the corruption of this world that are caused by our evil desires.



Then I had some of my students act out skits we had rehearsed early that morning. We thought of six different scenarios where people face temptations that are common in this area (and the rest of the world). In each case, the student made the choice not to give in to the temptation instead do the right thing. One was tempted to steal a pen, but did not. Another was tempted to lie to his mother about his grade in school. Still another was made fun of, yet he did not retaliate. A girl was propositioned by a boy, but declined his advances. One was pushed down and he chose not to fight back. And the final scenario was a teacher who was tempted to beat the student (which happens a lot in this culture), but he decided to handle it in a better matter.





After the drama pieces we talked about how nothing or no one (note even Satan) can force you to sin. It is always our choice. In fact, life is made up of our choices. Then we shared some of the qualities that we should posess in increasing measure from 2 Peter 1, starting with faith and building on that foundation. We had different students holding up signs with those words on them (goodness, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness and love).



I hadn't planned on this next part, but I think it was the Holy Spirit that brought it to my mind at that point. I shared the story of my friend Will Coker that was kidnapped, held hostage and eventually beheaded in Afghanistan. He possessed those qualities and in increasing measure. I think it shocked some of the students who had not heard the story yet, but it definitely made them think deeply and contemplate how committed they were to God. Most of them may never face the kind of religous persecution that Will did, but it might come in other forms.



I love the opportunities I get to share with our students and when God uses me to deepen their faith and draw them closer to him!

No comments: