Wednesday, November 23, 2011

What I am Thankful For

Kenyans don't celebrate Thanksgiving, but luckily I am in Nairobi now at a guesthouse for missionaries. We will have a traditional turkey dinner over lunch time.  Believe me, I will eat my fair share of food.  Later today I will be connecting with Steve and Judi before they fly out to the U.S. and some other friends later tonight. I will have to wait until Friday afternoon to watch a replay of the Cowboys Thanksgiving Day Game.

I started out writing the top ten things I am thankful for, but there is so much to be thankful that I kept on going to 15 and still left out many.  So here are some random things that I am thankful for (in no particular order)...

1. having the best parents in the world
2. good health free from malaria, worms, amoebas and any other bug
3. a great, reliable vehicle that can carry almost an entire football team and also has a cooler box (even thogh I don't even have a fridge at home)
4. wonderful brothers, sisters-in-law and 4 great nieces and nephews that I miss a ton
5. lake flies (God tells us to give thanks in all circumstances, and that includes nasty, annoying swarms of lake flies)
6. sports- what would life be like without competition?
7. a safe home with solar power, a nice napping couch and a cozy bed
8. a purpose and mission in life with a clear calling from God
9. friends- Kenyan friends who are so warm, friendly and hospitable, and U.S. friends who continue to support and encourage me and are always there for me
10. friends and family who set such a great example for me as they help to advance God's Kingdom in the U.S. and throughout the world
11.  working for a ministry like CGA that takes the downtrodden and disadvantaged children and gives them a hope for this life and for eternity
12. consistent rains throughout East Africa that give some relief to this region that has been suffering from drought and famine which has caused skyrocketing food prices
13. God's faithful provision which gives me the opportunity to serve Him in Mbita
14. to see students and players growing and maturing academically, socially, physically and spiritually
15. A God who loves us so much that He would send his own son to suffer and die on the cross to free us from the bondage of sin and death and give us a new life!  

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

No comments: