Saturday, August 11, 2012

Back Home

I arrived back in the good old USA on Tuesday, August 7th just in time to indulge in the last week of the Olympics.  Honestly I didn't schedule it that way, but the timing was perfect.  After a couple of good days in Nairobi running errands and catching up with old friends, I flew through London (layover wasn't long enough to go outside the airport and watch the Olympics live) and landed in San Diego, greeted by my parents,my brother Sam and my nephew Zachary.  Though he is only 4 years old (going on 20) he insisted on helping me roll my carry on luggage to the car.  We proceeded to his house which happens to be a boat at San Diego yacht club and met the smiling faces of my sister-in-law Sally and 2 year old niece Kylie. 

The last time I was home was two years ago, but that was only for 3 weeks.  My last long visit to America was 4 years ago.  It feels a little strange coming back home.  All of the cars shine so bright and look so immaculate.  Everything seems to be organized so well with clean streets and no dust.  Before ever leaving for the mission field I was told that the longer you live overseas the more comfortable and adaptable you will become in both places, but even though you feel more "comfortable" in both places you will begin to feel like you don't completely "fit" into either place.  I think that is definitely true for me after 9 years in Kenya.  I love both Kenya and the U.S., but don't feel totally "at home" in either place, but I guess that is to be expected since this world is not our home, we are just passing through. 

We enjoyed a wonderful day in San Diego with Sam's family and even got to take the kids swimming.  I was amazed that my four year old nephew can jump into the pool alone and swim all the way across to the other end, even through the deep end.  And he must have done it at least ten times.  I have to remember to take a video of it so I can show my kids in Kenya because they won't believe me if I just tell them. (on a side note, he also learned to ride a bicycle alone this week).  My 2 year old niece also feels very comfortable in the pool, but only when an adult is helping her.  She loves to climb on your back and catch a ride to the other end.  I enjoyed putting her on my front and swimming backwards across the pool so that I could enjoy her million dollar smile as I laboured in the water. 



Since then I have come back to Hemet with my parents and enjoyed a pretty subdued 4 days.  I have indulged in the Olympics, mostly basketball, football, track and field and volleyball with a little dose of sychronized swimming and rythmic dancing when nothing else is on.  My favorite though was the U.S. women's soccer team in the semis vs. Canada and the finals vs. Japan (redemption).  I have also been unpacking and beginning to prepare for my travels around the country.  With my dad now retired and my mom off for summer break until next week it kind of seems like a holiday since they are around the house 24/7.  I will get to enjoy CA for about 12 more days before I begin travelling. 

Being home just reminds me once again of how blessed I am to have grown up in a country like the U.S. and to have such great family, friends and supporters.  I couldn't ask for better parents than what I have.  If anyone tried to design and create the ideal parents, they couldn't do better than the ones I have!

     

No comments: