Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Joe's December Update


Krismasi Njema! People all over the world are celebrating the birth of Jesus in all of their different languages. God's own Son became man to seek and save the lost and, ultimately, die so that we might live!

As I prepare to board the plane on the day after Christmas and return to Kenya for three more years, I am reflecting on the past three and half months in the U.S. and looking forward to the years to come in Kenya. My heart is a little heavy knowing that I won't see most of my family and friends again for several years, but I am also anxious to reconnect with my family and friends in Kenya.

Looking Back

Over the past few months, I have set foot in 10 different states, shared with around 40 different groups about CGA, and spent time with family and friends. God keeps reminding me of how tremendously blessed I am. I have an incredible family, great friends and dedicated, faithful supporters. So many people have opened up their homes to me, welcomed me as part of their family and added a few pounds to my belly! It is special to connect with old friends and pick up right where we left off years ago.

I am grateful for so many that have been praying for me and for Christ's Gift Academy faithfully day after day and year after year. God is answering those prayers and moving mountains because of your earnest pleas.

I am also grateful for those that give financially to support my calling to Kenya. In my five years serving over there, God has always provided and met all of my needs through people like you. I am also grateful for those of you that support CGA. Many of you have been faithful child sponsors for many years, others help in feeding our children, paying staff salaries, supporting our general operating budget or special projects. God is using your sacrficial giving to draw the neediest children unto him, breaking the cycle of poverty in their lives and raising them up to be a generation of change that will impact their country for His glory.

I have been encouraged to see how God is using so many of you in amazing ways here in the U.S. I have seen godly parents selflessly committed to raising their chidren to know and love God and walk in His ways. I have seen people who are impacting their neighborhoods and communities by serving in various ways, developing strong relationships, and showing God's love to others by simple acts of kindness. I have seen people in every type of job being salt and light in their workplaces. I have seen Sunday School teachers, youth leaders and college campus mentors who are committed to the next generation of American children. I have seen Pastors who are living out the calling God has placed on their lives, giving so much of themselves every day in serving their congregations and discipling people to live out their lives in Christ. The message I have been delivering in most of my speaking engagements is simple, "The Hope of this world is in Jesus Christ and that message is spread through ordinary people like you and me living out our lives on a daily basis for Him!" Thank you for doing that!

Looking Forward

During my time home, God has renewed my passion for Kenya and the calling He has placed on my life. I am eager to return. I depart for Kenya on Dec. 26th with a 2 day layover in London. When I arrive in Kenya I will be taking a good Pastor friend of mine from the U.S. on a 2-day/1 night safari in the Masai Mara. Then I will return to Mbita where I will hit the ground running. Right away I will be meeting with all of our secondary students and their parents and making sure they are ready to start their new school year at the 1st of the year. Then our 8th graders should be receiving their results from their National Exams around that time. I will be busy helping them prepare for Secondary school and getting settled in. Also, CGA will be beginning its new school year and we will be having a graduation ceremony in January.

You can check out the CGA website at http://www.cgakenya.com/
Join the CGA cause on Facebook at http://apps.facebook.com/causes/171804?m=c776db28&recruiter_id=28758005

Prayer Requests:
1) Pray for healthy goodbyes here and safety in travelling to Kenya and around Kenya.

2) Pray for the students that will be returning to various high schools and the ones who are preparing to begin. Pray that all their financial needs will be met and their physical needs will be met. Pray that the new students will get quality high schools where they can develop strong Christian friendships and continue to grow spiritually.

3) Pray for the new school year at CGA. Pray that teachers would come prepared and excited. Pray that the students will be ready to learn and work hard to do their best.


You can donate on-line at http://www.cgakenya.com/
or
Send Contributions to:Christ’s Gift Academy
636-G Long Point Road #38
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
Include a note designating direction of funds
(Joe, food, staff, special project, child sponsorship, or general)

No comments: