Monday, January 5, 2009

My London Layover

Dec. 26
Once again, I find myself driving to LAX with my parents and with my brother Sam, his wife Sally and also my 10 month old nephew Zachary. Flying back to Kenya after the holidays is still confusing to me. I am so excited to return to my home in Kenya and see my friends and catch up on all that I have missed over the past month and jump back into my role, but it is also sad after having such great quality time with my family and friends in the U.S. to say goodbye, knowing I won’t see them for at least a couple of years. After my family prayed for me and a few tears were shed, I boarded the plane ready for the 11 hour flight to London, hoping to sleep through most of it. My sister-in-law gave me an Ambien pill that is supposed to knock you out, but for some reason I couldn’t sleep a wink. Maybe it has something to do with the cold I have had for the past week and a half and the annoying cough that won’t go away.

Dec. 27
I arrived in London at around noon. When I was ticketing I was forced to have a one day layover because of the connecting flights, but my friend Bethany convinced me to make it into a two day layover since she was going to be there and could show me around the town. Jenny Cox, another missionary who is returning to serve at Christ’s Gift Academy, also flew in at the same time. So after a night without sleep, we jumped on the tube and headed towards town to see Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey and all the other famous London sights. I loved seeing all these places I had only hear about or seen on TV, but it was really cold walking around London for hours at a time. That night we went and saw Les Miserables (Yes I am secure enough in my manhood to admit that I halfway enjoyed it).


Dec. 28
After a good night of sleep we set out for downtown London again and took a tour by one of the Beefeaters at the Tower of London. We did several other things before we started searching for a place to watch the Cowboys game. That was a futile effort, which turned out to be ok since they got crushed by the Eagles.



Dec. 29
I had a hard time sleeping that night for some reason. Jenny flew out for Nairobi that morning and my flight wasn’t leaving until the evening. So I talked Bethany into going out for breakfast at Wimbledon. We ate strawberries and cream and toured around the museum and grounds for most of the day much to my joy and Bethany’s agony. I am not a huge tennis fan, but I love competition and have always loved watching Wimbledon. I arrived at the airport a little past 5:00 pm, hoping for a good night sleep on the plane before arriving in Kenya. Once again, I popped an Ambien which didn’t seem to work at all and I laid awake for the entire 9 hour flight from London to Nairobi.

No comments: