Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Blessings in the Storm


Now you have read all about my difficulties in travelling from the U.S. back to Mbita, Kenya. It included several sleepless nights, being harassed by a Kenyan police officer, a gushing fuel tank, four flat tires, being stuck in the hot African sun with swarming flies for four hours, two nights of the shakes and vomiting, battling pneumonia and malaria and a bad engine. As I look back at all those experiences I can thank God for what He has done. It could have been so much worse.



1) Though I didn’t sleep on any of my flights, they were still good flights that took off and landed on time.


2) The police officer that harassed me eventually had a change of heart and released me with just a warning thanks to a lot of prayers.


3) Two of the flat tires happened when I was in a place that I could get them fixed almost immediately.


4) I was able to find a mechanic in the Masai Mara that could repair the tank within a few hours.


5) When we were stranded, we had one vehicle pass us the entire time and he was willing to help, though there wasn’t much he could do.


6) We had some of God’s willing servants come and rescue us when we were stranded (even though it was a holiday).


7) Jay and Jenny were so great throughout all the sicknesses and car problems. They were patient, encouraging and stayed positive the entire time, even in the most difficult circumstances.


8) The Galat Family kindly opened their home for Jenny and I to stay with them for five nights. The kids willingly gave up their bedrooms for us. Heather prepared some marvelous meals and Dan took care of my medical problems.


9) The second time I fell sick, I was staying at Dr. Galat’s house. Very quickly they were giving me IV’s and medicine which greatly helped.


10) There were also several other people at Tenwek like Nurse Ann, Dr. Dino and others who helped in so many ways.


11) Steve really saved us by buying and brining new tires to us in Bomet.


12) We found a good taxi driver that could bring us to my vehicle.
This list could go on for a long time. So many people have helped me over the past few weeks. I am grateful at how much people give of themselves to help others in need.

No comments: