Friday, February 13, 2009

Looking at the Big Picture

Sometimes working with the students at CGA, I forget the difficult circumstances that these children go through in life. At school, they are all wearing their nice uniforms and look so bright. I forget the type of homes they are coming from every morning and the things they are exposed to on a daily basis. I forget the traumatic experiences they have endured in their young lives.

I tend to be a perfectionist and sometimes that is harmful when working with children. None of us are perfect and I can expect too much from them. Then I am let down, saddened and stressed when they make a mistake. When we start dealing with some of their problems I begin focusing on the 5-10 students who are misbehaving instead of the 260 that are doing so well. The same is true with our secondary students where I focus on the 3-5 who are not doing well, instead of the 50-60 who are working hard, achieving high marks academically and being leaders and witnesses in their various schools.

It is a challenge working with orphans. Mentally and emotionally, they have endured much in their young lives, with so many deaths of the people closest to them. There are so many issues that come along with that. They also know they are orphans and don't feel like they really "belong" in the families they live with. They know they are not the real children of their guardians and sometimes will run away and go to other relatives' houses. They don't really feel "at home" anywhere except possibly at school (CGA).

It really is amazing that CGA has had the success we have had, considering their home lives. Our Orphan/Student Care Department does their best to visit their homes, encourage the caretakers and assist where possible, but it is only a drop in the bucket of what these children really need. Christ's Gift Academy has dramatically changed the lives and the futures of so many of these children who would not have had other good opportunties for education and other basic necessities.

Sometimes I lose sight of this. I focus on the negative and forget what a difference this ministry is making. Over the past month I seem to be reminded daily about the battle we are in here, standing on the front lines. Because of its proximity to Lake Victoria, we get many fisherman that come in for a few weeks/months at a time to fish and make money. They use the money to sin like crazy and then go back to their homes in other parts of the country. This has brought so much immorality into the area. People that have no roots here or family around can do whatever they want and then run away when the consequences of their actions begin to surface.


A local pastor was sharing with me this week about the change he has seen in Mbita over the past 5-7 years. He has seen much improvement and many people turning towards to the Lord. Many people are leaving behind their immorality and walking in the ways of God. Despite our own setbacks, we have also seen this with CGA; many of our students, staff and the families of our children have changed for the good.

It takes a minute to step back and look at the big picture instead of focusing on the obstacles. If we remain faithful, God will bless the work of our hands and continue transforming this place for His glory.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing about your own shortcoming (perfectionism) and the perspective God gives you when you consider the big picture. That's something I can apply even in my little big picture in the U.S.

ashby said...

thanks for sharing your heart in this JOe. I miss you and those kids. I will be praying for you over the next few days.

ashby said...

I just failed the word verification because I'm not a real human. sigh.


...TWICE. I failed it twice.