Saturday, January 1, 2011

End of 2010 Newsletter



Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you. I want to take this opportunity to thank you most sincerely for your continued friendship and partnership over the years. The prayer support and financial support God has blessed me with is extraordinary. It allows me to live out the calling God has given me. I am grateful to all of you that are partnering with me to reach out to the children of Mbita, Kenya. In this district that has been decimated by HIV/AIDS, most of these orphans would have never had an opportunity to finish their basic education and build a better future for their lives without the help of Christ's Gift Academy, the school's dedicated staff and missionaries, and the support of people like you. Thank you for allowing God to use you in a powerful way in my life and in the lives of so many in Kenya.

CGA 2010 Highlights
- The first CGA graduates who started Nursery class in 1997 finished their High School education and are eagerly awaiting the results of their National Exam.
- The fifth 8th grade class sat their National Exams at CGA and are preparing to join secondary schools in 2011.
- Over 275 primary school students at CGA are receiving a quality Christian Education, learning about the Word of God and are getting their physical needs met on a daily basis.
- Close to 100 former CGA students are being sponsored at various high schools throughout the country, and are also receiving spiritual nourishment and academic support during the school holidays.
- CGA conducted its first ever Christmas Pageant as a ministry and evangelistic outreach to the students, parents and members of the community.
- Over 100 widowed mothers are participating in CGA widow support groups in the community.
- All of the primary school students at CGA received a mosquito net, mattress and blanket through the generous donation of Providence Presbyterian in Concord, NC.

Suba Lakers Football Club 2010 Highlights
- The team reached the finals of the Regional primary school games.
- Four players were selected to play at the Primary School Nationals.
- The junior team won third place at the Galactico tournament in Kisumu.
- The team won the Coca-cola regional tournament.
- Two of our players have been invited to play with the 2nd best women's professional team in the country after the coach agreed to pay for their school fees and help them with some allowances.
- The club supported four students in their secondary school education and four more in their primary school education.
- We hosted our first tournament in October, attracting 14 girls' teams from around the district.
- Many girls throughout the district have been empowered to make wise choices in their personal lives, resist the peer pressure to get involved with sexual relationships and to stay in school.
- Our club members and the girls that came for the tournament have all heard the Gospel with many responding to give their lives to Christ.
Disappointments
There will always be disappointments in life and struggles that we face. Working with youth is a challenge. I have been lied to and deceived multiple times. Some have run away when I have tried to help them. Others give in to the many pressures they face in their homes or from their peers. It is heartbreaking when you try so hard to help; yet the young person still chooses the wrong path. I have come to realize that sometimes the ones that you help the most are the ones that hurt you the most. As a missionary friend of mine said in her newsletter, "It is like giving someone a cup of water and having them shove it back in your face."

My Future
As this year comes to a conclusion I am reminded of the clear calling God gave me in 2003 to come and serve as a missionary in Kenya. He used the circumstances in my life, words from other people and spoke to me so clearly through scriptures such as Matthew 25:35-40 and Ezekiel 2. In 2008 I made a 3 year commitment to serve at CGA, so this coming year is the final year of that commitment. I am praying about what lies ahead for me, asking God to once again clearly show me if this is where I am to remain or if there is something else he is preparing me for after next year.

The Reason I am Here
As I close this newsletter I want to share an excerpt from a letter one of our secondary students wrote to his sponsor. Brian Orinda just finished his third year in secondary school and is preparing to begin his final year at the beginning of January. I think he accurately captures the heart of CGA and the reason that I am here serving in Kenya. Here is what he wrote to his sponsor...

"I am working hard and hope that Christ's Gift Academy, through your help, will produce an accomplished God-fearing leader, tough debater and negotiator, and an intelligent politician, a master of social convention, well dressed and self educated. I was not a privileged child but hope that I will rise to equal the best individuals on the Earth who stand with every advantage in life. I have a dream that one day I will be a top government official in the country and by this I will be in a position to share with my fellow leaders the grace of God, and to challenge them with the living Word. I have a dream that one day I will be the president of the nation and will lead the country in the Christian way. I am praying to God that he may help me to achieve my goals and objectives and, through Him, my dreams may come true."
- Brian Orinda

Joe Peterson
Christ's Gift Academy
Mbita, Kenya

e-mail: rockylj@hotmail.com
site: www.CGAKenya.com
blog: www.joekenya.blogspot.com

You can give online securely at:
www.groundspring.org
or
Send Contributions to:
Christ's Gift Academy
636-G Long Point Road #38
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
Include a note designating direction of funds
(Joe, food, staff, special project, child sponsorship, or general)

No comments: