Friday, March 9, 2012

Lessons Learnt

I was in Kisumu on Wednesday and had to fuel up my vehicle before continuing.  When I stopped at the petrol station, the attentdants began working immediately with one checking the fluids, one washing the windshield and another putting fuel in.  I got out immediately to make sure that the pump was reset before they started (a common trick they use in Kenya). 

They reset it and started pumping, but stopped at sh. 1,000 ($12).  The attendant began putting the handle back on the pump and I said, "Please fill it full."  So she apologized and said she thought I only wanted sh. 1,000.  After she finished filling it, the pump was reading sh. 4,300.  She came around to me and said, "It is sh. 5,300."  I corrected her but she insisted that she had reset it after putting in the first sh. 1,000.  I was a bit confused and wasn't sure, but told her that she didn't reset it.  Another attendent demonstrated that when you put the handle back on the pump that it resets (like I didn't already know that from drving for the past twenty years).  I explained that she never put the hanlde back on the pump so it never was reset.  I even explained that the number of litres didn't correspond to how full my tank was when I came to the petrol station.  They insisted, so I paid sh. 5,300 and told them I wouldn't argue anymore, but if they were cheating me then God would judge them for their actions (not sure if that is the best approach or not).  I took the receipt and got into the vehicle ready to drop the matter and move on.  But before leaving, I bowed down and prayed.  I don't know how spiritual this is, but I prayed for conviction upon their hearts if they were cheating me, and if that didn't work then I prayed for God's judgement upon them. 

When I opened my eyes the lady was at the window with sh. 1,000 to give back to me.  She said the other attendent was in the bathroom and came back and told them it was never reset (lie and excuse to cover their shame).  They apologized.  I took the money and said, "God Bless you!" and then left.

I don't know why, but that incident made me so happy.  I think because God answered my prayer.  Normally in Kenya I (and most foreigners) raise a big fuss, create a big scene and leave annoyed, with many burnt bridges and a bad testimony.  But I think this time God used this situation to teach me something and to teach those workers something.     

No comments: