Saturday, December 11, 2010

Land of Paradox


The past couple of days I have really been reminded of the paradox of serving here. In some ways I love this place so much, and in other ways it drives me crazy. There are parts of the culture that are so endearing, and others that I will never understand. Even the same is true with the people and relatonships.

I received an e-mail update from the leaders of my mission training that I took before coming to Kenya. What they said is so true, and really applies to me. I wish I would have wrote it...

"If I had to choose a word to describe this year, it would be PARADOX. I
love that word. It allows seemingly contradictory realities to dwell together
at the same time. And this year, like most, has held many paradoxes...

At any given moment, our hearts are full and broken, enriched and depleted,
grateful and weeping, content and longing for more. It is to these hearts
that the Savior faithfully comes, bringing grace and a song! It is this Savior
that our hearts celebrate at Christmas and in all the seasons of life!"

No comments: