Thursday, December 23, 2010

This Little Light of Mine

On Sunday evening we were returning from Kisii after having played 5 football matches in 4 days. Fortunately we arrived in Mbita before dark so we were able to get almost all of the players home before dark. When you are working with girls, especially in this area, you have to be very careful because of the dangers all around them. Their parents and guardians entrust them to us and we want to do everything possible to make sure they reach back home safely. Only one player remained and she happened to be one of my favorites (I know you are not supposed to have favorites but we all do). Alicent was missing her family and her home and really wanted to reach that night, instead of waiting for the next day. Her home is on the other side of Rusinga Island. My friend Mourine Ooro and I decided to drive her home.

She is the youngest girl on our senior team (she just turned 13 years old), but one of the boldest and bravest. She has a lot of spunk, always quick to smile and loves to laugh. We had a good conversation with her on her way home. She was asking about my family back in America and we were talking about her family here in Kenya. After the death of her father in 2001 Alicent lived for three years in Uganda in her maternal grandparents home. In 2006 she returned to her paternal grandparents home on Rusinga Island to be with her sick mother. Not long after Alicent’s return, the mother also passed away. Alicent had returned from church one Saturday and found the mother lifeless in her bed. Alicent and her six siblings were soon after dispersed throughout different parts of Kenya and Uganda to be cared for by various relatives. Since that time Alicent has remained in Kenya and has been cared for by a step-mother. The step-mother has three children of her own that she is also caring for and she makes charcoal to provide for the family. Alicent has a very strong bond with her step-mother and her 81 year old grandparents.

We parked the car on the road and then walked about 2 km down the mountain toward the lake where their home is situated. I had visited the home several times before, so I was greeted very warmly by the step-mother and grandparents. They are always happy to see Alicent come home.

A few weeks ago my sister-in-law's father, Rich, gave me a very special Christmas gift. It was a Coleman LED lantern which works for over 125 hours before the batteries need replacing. I had used it every night in my house since receiving it because it lights up my sitting room much better than my normal light. It allowed me to do some work or read the newspaper at night. It was also small enough to function as a flashlight too which is why I had it with me when I was bringing Alicent home that night.





After entering their house we prayed and exchanged greetings, but I felt a tug at my heart that I should give them my new lantern. Maybe it was because the house was dark and the only light was a tiny candle that was about to go out. I tried to convince myself not to give it away. I told myself that I really needed it myself and that these people would not even know how to use it. Even if they did know how to use it they wouldn't be able to afford new batteries once these one are used up. I thought of every excuse, even that I wouldn't be able to find my way back to the car that night without a light (even though the moon was full and bright).

Normally I like to give things away, but usually they are old things that I don't like or use anymore; not something that is special to me.

In the end, I gave a gift that hurt me a little bit, yet it also felt so good. I don't know if they truly understood what I gave them or if they will really use it, but I do know that the tug on my heart to freely give was too much to overcome.

In a small way, it is like the gift that God gave us on Christmas 2000 years ago. He gave His best, His one and only son. I can't imagine the hurt and pain it must have caused God (not to mention the hurt and pain Jesus endured on the cross for us).


The light he gave us wasn't a little lantern that can light up a small mud hut, but the Light of the entire World!

No comments: