Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Why I Believe What I Believe



My time in Israel has led me to a closer examination of my faith. Jews, Muslims and Christians agree on the majority of the Old Testament. The difference comes when Jesus comes into the picture. Why is Christianity the right way?
It is historically recognized that there was a man named Jesus who walked the Earth 2,000 years ago. He was born in Bethlehem, grew up in Nazareth and was crucified. Those facts are widely agreed upon as historically true.


The part that many people question is in the resurrection. That event is really what all of Christianity hinges on. If it is true, then surely Jesus was the Son of God and the only one who ever lived that was able to resurrect himself. If it is false, then he was no different than every other person that has walked the Earth.

There are many evidences that point to its truth such as his appearing to over 500 people. For me though the biggest evidence is in the behavior of the disciples. Before the resurrection the 12 disciples were afraid, running away and denying they knew Jesus. Something significant must have happened because a short time later these cowards turned into bold and courageous men. They galliantly proclamied that Jesus had conquered death to everyone around, even in the midst of persecution. In fact 11 of the 12 ended up being killed for their faith in Jesus and his resurrection.

Some say that they might have stolen the body or made up a lie. Throughout history many people have died for something they thought was true or had good intentions about, but I don't think people are willing to die for something they know is a lie. At some point one of them would have confessed it in the face of death. They did not! That is the best proof I see.

Christianity is different than every other religion. No other religion has a saviour that conquered death. Every other religion is about what man can do for God. Christianity is all about God and what he did for us. It is not based on our works and deeds because they can never measure up to a perfect, holy God.

Finally, I can see what God has done in my life. I have experienced true peace and joy in the midst of difficult circumstances. I have heard the voice of God guiding me and directing me. I have felt and continue to feel the power of the Holy Spirit working in me. I am thankful for the opportunity to go to Israel and how it has reaffirmed my faith in following Jesus.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amen. What else to say?