Saturday, September 12, 2009

Goodbye Barak


The entire staff of CGA and many of the students trekked over the hill behind the school and into the valley of Gera for the burial of their beloved pupil, Barak Ochieng. The home is a mud hut in the rural part seated between two big hills. Barak passed away on Thursday after a long battle with cancer. The school manager, Steve Cochran, along with Willis Onyango and several members of the family travelled on Friday to Kisumu to collect the body and bring it back to his home to be buried. It was a small ceremony and short in duration, just like his life. Barak was only six years old, but his life had touched many. People shared of how he was always smiling. He didn’t talk so much though he was always ready to offer a smile. He also had a servant’s heart. Every day after school he would stop at his grandmother’s house to see if she needed water. If she did, he would walk to the river and fetch her water. And he was a mighty warrior. He fought all the way until the end. He endured much pain as the cancer attacked many parts of his body, including the nervous system, but he stayed positive throughout and had an incredible attitude. As the ceremony came to a close the men lowered the coffin in the grave just next to the house and began shoveling the dirt over the top, as Barak’s 9 year old brother stood by watching, holding the two stuffed animals of his deceased brother. Barak will be deeply missed by many, but all that knew him personally were enriched by his life.

2 comments:

Kim Davey said...

I am sorry to hear this...

I think that we visited this Barak on our way to the Kisumu airport. My prayers are with the family.

KIM

Lillian Lawrence said...

Joe, I believe ispoke wih his little brother while there. I can't remember his name but we took a walk and talked about death, dying, and heaven. He was having physical symptoms but I could see that he was having to deal with he loss of his brother. He loosened up with my touch and we talked and prayed more. Please send me his name and addres so I can contact him I told him I would and want to keep my promise.He touched my heart and I don't know if I helped him or he helped me. Also, If he does not have a sponsor I would like to try and find him one. Lillian