Saturday, September 19, 2009

Post from Kim Davies

This was a cool post on Kim Davies blog from last month about the Suba Lakers Football Club and CGA



Lakers Football Team

I left Darla and her crew or rather, she left me, at the sports center in Kisumu. I had been instructed to meet Joe there between the hours of twelve and five. He promised to be easy to find, as the only white male present, and I couldn't imagine that an African football field could be all that crowded. So with that in mind, I assured Darla that I would be fine, stepped out of the car, into the sports park and away from my only Kenyan contact. I was surprised to find not only one, but two VERY crowded football fields at the Kisumu sports center. Fortunatly, us mzungos stick out like sore thumbs and after asking only a few spectators, I was directed right to the guy.


Three days were spent with the Suba Lakers Football Team. Most of the girls on the team come from broken homes, foster families and/or economically stressed households. Many are students at Christ Gift Academy and oh, did I mention, these little ladies can play some football! Both the Senior and Junior teams won first place in the weekend's tournaments. For me, the best part of the weekend came when the Junior team scored their winning goal in front of hundreds of cheering fans on the main football field Kisumu. Hearing their names and each play by play announced over the loud-speaker was so exciting!


These girls are not only learning how to play football on the Suba team. They are learning something about themselves, they are learning who they are in the Lord. Beautiful women of Christ. Suba Lakers Football Team - The Champions!!!


Christ Gift Academy


Located on the shores of Lake Victoria in Mbita,Kenya I spent about five days observing elementary classes, working with small groups of students at CGA and getting a general feel for the Mbita area. After visiting and working short term in several schools here in Africa, I can boldly say that Christ Gift Academy is, by far, the best school I have ever seen on the continent. Teachers are teaching, students are learning. And the basis of it all, is Christ.

This little sweetie was finishing out her first year at CGA. I couldn't believe the quality of her penmanship, she was only about four years old! She could have taught my 2nd graders back in the states a thing or two.

No comments: