Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Sweet Fellowship

CGA and Mbita were blessed by a medical team that came to offer free clinics to the community. Close to a thousand patients were seen during the week. The team was mixed with some people from Charleston, South Carolina and others from Montana. The clinics also provided a platform to share the Gospel by words and action to the people.

On a personal note, I was very blessed by their presence. They fulfilled some of my requests and brought several "American" things to me that I can't get here in Kenya and even several gifts that I did not request, but was happy to receive. It was also a great time of fellowship for me to share my life with some old friends. Dave Brost was my best friend while I was in college. Paul McClintock was another friend from college. I have gotten to know Paul Hansen over the past few years during my times back home and also hosting Paul and his wife in my house when they visited Mbita in 2006.

I was able to see the team around school some during the day and enjoy dinner with them every night. After leaving Mbita, I travelled with them on safari at the Masai Mara and on to Nairobi. After the South Carolina portion of the team flew out, I remained with my four Montana friends for an extra day of fun in Nairobi that included the giraffe center, elephant orphanage, a tour of the slums and even a go-kart race!

Time and again God reminds me of how blessed I am to have such quality friends throughout the world. Friends that set a good example for me in their own life, care about me and are just fun to be around. Coming on a mission trip is a big sacrifice giving up family, money and vacation time to travel to a foreign country. It was a little sad for me to watch them through the window and see them disappear in the airport up the escalator, but I am grateful for the chance to spend a couple of weeks with them in Kenya.

No comments: